- Independently conceive, plan, conduct, and analyze experiments, along with coordinating with, managing, and technically guiding other scientists.
- Lead application development and collaboration efforts with industry and academia.
- As a technical lead, perform feasibility/POC/development studies, design of experiments (DOEs), technical transfer, validation, and develop product specifications.
- A team player in multidisciplinary product core and project teams to coordinate resolutions related to resource conflicts, quality, program costs, and budgeting.
- 15 years of experience: Sequencing platform development microarray, 3D genomics, next-generation sequencing (NGS), Nanopore platform sequencing, human genetic disorders, Small RNA short-read sequencing (microRNAs & snoRNAs), microbiome, HIV and aging research.
- Experience with human, vertebrate and invertebrate samples to describe the genetics of a wide variety of human diseases.
- Bioinformatics: Genotyping and sequencing data analysis. I also developed an online directory for public repositories of genetic, genomic, and biological data. Proficient in bioinformatics tools and languages (HTML, dHTML, and CSS). 10+ years of experience in science communication and curation of biomedical resources.
- Immigration Status: Permanent Resident (USA)
Positions and Employment
- Senior Scientist Applications and Collaborations, Dovetail Genomics (EdenRoc Sciences) (2020-Present)
- Senior Scientist Product Development, Dovetail Genomics (EdenRoc Sciences) (2018-Present)
- Scientist II Product Development, Centrilllion Technologies (2016-2018)
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Buck Institute for Research on Aging, Novato, CA, USA (2011-2016)
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Gheens Center on Aging University of Louisville, KY, USA (2010-2011)
- Research Scholar, Unversity of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA (2006-2010)
- Research fellow, Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh India (2004-2006)
- Product development for HTS and microarray technologies.
- Area of research: human genetic disorders, microbiome, HIV and aging research.
- Strong background in cell and molecular biology, biochemical, and cell culture techniques.
- Proficient in sample preparation and analysis of next generation sequencing (NGS) and microarray.
- Experience with molecular biology platforms: Bioanalytical assays, Real Time-PCR, Fluorescent Imaging, Flow Cytometry and luminescent plate readers.
- Experience with human samples to describe genetics of a wide variety of human diseases (AIDS and Prader-Willi syndrome).
- Experience with generating stable recombinant cell lines for protein expression.
- Experienced in using different in vivo vertebrate and invertebrate models.
- Experienced in in situ hybridization, molecular cloning, and cDNA library generation.
- Experienced with sample preparation and analysis of top-down/bottom-up protein mass spectrometry.
- Developed a directory of resources for public repositories of genetic, genomic, and biological data.
- 10+ years of experience in science communication and curation of biomedical resources.
- Proficient in bioinformatics tools and languages (HTML, dHTML, and CSS).
- Designed and webmaster of The Buck Institute for Research on Aging’s official Blog website. Link
- Ph.D., Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry (2010)
Friedrich-Alexander University/University of Kentucky
- M.S., Human Genomics (2004)
Panjab University, India
- B.S., Biotechnology (2002)
Panjab University, India
- Primary neuronal culture
- Mammalian cell culture
- Macrophage cell culture
Molecular Biology: RNA/DNA based techniques
- Cloning of double-stranded RNAs (small and long RNAs)
- RNase protection assay (RPA)
- Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)
- RNA Pull down assay
- Northern Blotting
- Southern Blotting
- Colony Hybridization
- Total RNA Isolation: Animal tissues and cells
- Transient transfection.
- PCR, Reverse Transcription PCR, and Real-Time PCR,
- Minigene cloning
- Restriction enzyme and bacteriophage lambda based cloning
- Primer-Designing and Gene Arrays
- In-situ hybridization and immunostaining
- Primary Neuronal Culture
- SDS-PAGE of Proteins,
- Western Blot, Silver Staining of Proteins
- Two-Dimensional Gel Electrophoresis
- Preparation and Staining of Metaphysics chromosomes & Barr Body.
- Immunohistochemistry: Macrophage staining
Radiation Safety Certification from Radiation Safety University of Kentucky Animal Handling Mouse dissection: Mouse tissues and macrophage culture
Bioinformatics: BLAST Alignment of Pair sequences, Multiple Sequence Alignment, Prediction of RNA Secondary Structure Gene and SWISS-PROT, Database Search for Similar Sequences.
Animal Handling Mouse dissection: Mouse tissues extraction, primary neuronal and macrophage culture
- Multifactor Dimensionality Reduction (MDR) software for Gene-Gene and Gene-Environment interactions.
- MASCOT software for analyzing the MALDI-TOF results
- PD quest for analyzing the 2D dimensional results
- ImageJ and Quantity One 3.1 software for studying the DNA/PCR results.
- Haploview version 3.2 for studying the Linkage disequilibrium for the association between SNPs.
- PHASE version 2.1 for generating Haplotypes of genes
- Primer 3 software for designing the primers/oligos.
- End Note 9 software
- Khanna A, Kumar J, Misha VA, et al. (2020). Trimethylamine, a human gut flora metabolite, modulates nutrient sensing and lifespan in C. elegans Cell Reports (Under Submission).
- Khanna A*, Kumar J*, Misha VA*, et al (2016). The influence of dietary bacteria genotypes on dauer formation in C. elegans Scientific Reports (*Equal Contributions) PMID:27958277
- Katewa SD, Khanna A, Kapahi P (2014) Mitobolites: the elixir of life. (Cell Metab.) PMC4103626
- Khanna A, Muthusamy S, Liang R, et al. (2011) Gain of survival signaling by down-regulation of three key miRNAs in brain of calorie-restricted mice. Aging (Albany NY) PMC3091518
- Liang R*, Khanna A*, Muthusamy S, Li N, Sarojini H, Kopchick JJ, Masternak MM, Bartke A and Wang E. (2011)Posttranscriptional regulation of IGF1Rby key microRNAs inlonglivedmutant mice. (Aging Cell) (*Equal Contributions)
- Khanna A and Kapahi P. (2011) Rapamycin: Killing two birds with one stone. Aging (Albany NY)
- Li X, Khanna A, Li N, Wang E. (2011) Circulatory miR34a as an RNA based, noninvasive biomarker for brain aging. (Aging (Albany NY))
- Shen M, Eyras E, Wu J, Khanna A, Josiah S, Rederstorff M, Zhang MQ, Stamm S. (2011) Direct cloning of double-stranded RNAs from RNase protection analysis reveals processing patterns of C/D box snoRNAs and provides evidence for widespread antisense transcript expression. (Nucleic Acids Res.)
- Khanna A and Stamm (2010) S Regulation of alternative splicing by short non-coding nuclear RNAs. (RNA Biol.)
- Kishore S*, Khanna A*, Zhang Z, Hui J, Balwierz PJ, Stefan M, Beach C, Nicholls RD, Zavolan M, Stamm S. (2010) The snoRNA MBII-52 (SNORD 115) is processed into smaller RNAs and regulates alternative splicing. (Hum Mol Genet.) *Co-first authors
- Kishore S, Khanna A, Stamm S. (2008) Rapid generation of splicing reporters with pSpliceExpress. (Gene)
- Kaul D, Anand PK, Khanna A. (2006) Functional genomics of PPAR-gamma in human immunomodulatory cells. (Mol Cell Biochem.)
- Kaul D, Khanna A, Suman (2006) Detection of novel miRNA in HIV-1 genome and its role in cd4T-cell deletion. (PINAS India)
- Hui J, Kishore S, Khanna A and Stamm S. (2009) Analysis of Alternative splicing with Microarrays. Bioinformatics for Systems Biology, Part III, 267-279, DOI: 10.1007/978-1-59745-440-7_14
- Zhang Z, Khanna A and Stamm S. (2011) Fast cloning of splicing reporter minigenes. Alternative Pre-mRNA Splicing: Theory and Protocols.
- Selected chair to organize Gordon Research seminar on aging and metabolism held in Italy, (2013)
- Invited as an instructor for the workshop on “Alternative Splicing and Disease” organized by European Alternative Splicing Network (EURASNET) (2009)
- Thomas C. Vanaman Graduate student best talk award at Spring research conference University of Kentucky (2009)
- Research assistant fellowship in DBT funded project (2006)
- Webmaster/Member of European Alternative Splicing Network (EURASNET) (2007-2010)
- Student Member of Indian Science Congress (2004-2006)
Ph: +1 859-608-6028
I believe in passion and intensity; there is training for everything else.
Life is mystic and everything associated with it has an aura. I wish to share a few poems celebrating that aura.